Monday, February 20, 2012

It is done!

I have finished the basic pocket rules for Sword & Shield.  You can download the pocket mod booklet by clicking on the game cover image to your right.

In brief, I used a die v. die mechanic.  Character classes and their respective attributes are based on a specific die.  Leveling up does not change the die, it provides a bonus (+1) to the attribute die of your choice.

Monsters are represented by a single die for all their tests.  I left out special abilities (feats) and a lot of magic schools and additional classes.  Why?
1.) Because it is only 8 pages
2.) I am not sure if it is worth putting additional time and effort into it.

Anyway, you can download the basic pocket rules and decide for yourself. I am in the final edit for my Sci-Fi RPG Rogue Space, and my wife is finishing up some additional art.  This little system sprang to mind in the midst of editing malaise. It may very well represent that funk!

Sorry, quick edit and re-posted rules (7.45a PST)

BONUS #1-I put up a free adventure to try the rules out with. Map cartography by Dyson Logos.  (8.55a PST)

BONUS #2-I just posted character sheets for download (1.06p)

8 comments:

Pastor Beau said...

Awesome!

Printing now, and then testing with my kids today... I'll let you know what I think shortly.

By the way, really looking forward to purchasing Rogue Space!

PB

Fenway5 said...

Thanks PB, I appreciate it. I am looking forward to getting RS done! :) Who knew fun was so much work?!

Pastor Beau said...

Thanks for the bonuses!

PB

Fenway5 said...

You bet hope you dig the game!

Narmer said...

Just finished my read through. Nice and light like I like it. I'll have to persuade the boys to play a session with me.

Fenway5 said...

Thanks Narmer. I have a lot of other classes, more magic and other stuff in the bull pen. It is in the end, sort of my take on making a Roguelike RPG game. Still puzzling out the random dungeon building bits...but I do have an idea...

Pastor Beau said...

Yep, Fenway, roled through the bonus adventure you provided last night with my kids (6 and 11). They loved it! Super easy, nice resolution system, nice math elements for my first grader :)

My only question is related to combat... is there a system for initiative?

Thanks for sharing this sweet system! I'm looking forward to the whole shebang!

PB

Fenway5 said...

@PB glad to hear it was a success! In my games I always let the heroes go first unless they are surprised by their enemy.

Simple rule for random initiative, have the lead player dice off against the biggest monster with his Fight stat die. The high roll goes first. Repeat each turn.