Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Roll your own dungeons

I saw this new Dungeon Morph Dice kickstart project and wanted to call it to your attention.  in essence each die face is a different dungeon geomorph, and they intend on producing a set of 5 different dice!

The goal is $6500 to produce the sets and there are a range of different pledge levels to see them get produced.

One thing I'd like to see is a firm pledge for everything: dice sets, battle maps the whole works.  As is if you add $80 to the top level you get the works, but that seems a bit of a gray area.  Just add a firm pledge level for "the werks!" Note, i did make my pledge today!  I hope they also use geomorphs from Stonewerk's Blog as he has produced some great geomorphs I have used in my Pockets full of Peril adventures.

I have a couple large sized D12 that have different dungeon halls and rooms on them so you can roll your own dungeon, and they have made some cool on the fly dungeon maps.  Maybe I'll roll up a couple and post them at some point.

6 comments:

Arkhein said...

Oh man - that is so awesome - lol. I can just see the looks of horror from the players in my game. 6500 is pretty steep target, at least from my pedestrian point of view. But $20 for 5 isn't bad at all. I hope it takes off.

- Ark

Fenway5 said...

These would be awesome and the different bonuses for higher pledges are cool, but yes $6500 is a heck of a goal in 60 days! I will pledge but the need to average about $110/ day in pledges is quite a goal!

Joe said...

Thanks for your support!

Setting the pledge levels is an art it seems. The advice from several who have blogged after successful projects is to keep it simple. If possible to keep it to 5 levels. (Which I'm already past.) The thinking is too many options makes it harder to choose and then people decide to "come back later." (And then they may forget.)

But if I added the 30 battlemats option to all levels (or even just the top 3) the number of options would get out of hand. (Especially if I think of another reward or two to add to the list.) Which is why I just mentioned it in the notes.

Obviously I'm hopeful about the $6500 goal. Really that's only a little over 300 sets so hopefully it takes off. On the other hand, the economics of custom dice don't work out at lower quantities.

As I said, thanks for posting about it! I just wanted to share the logic and show that I'm listening for feedback. (Though I probably won't see every thread.) I do have one or two other ideas for different rewards (which will be much different than the existing rewards) that I'm mulling over, but they depend on some factors that I'm still investigating.

Fenway5 said...

@Joe

Thanks for clarifying! I kicked in for the 30 battle mats as well, it's such an original and cool idea it's well worth supporting! Also if you have a chance look at Stonework's geomorphs, you don't have him listed, but he has many great morphs I'd love to find on your dice. Best of luck, hope to be rolling up some gaming fun soon!

Joe said...

@Fenway5
I actually had been communicating with Stoneworks (although it gets a bit hard keeping track of 5-7 people you haven't met in person). He's been invited to do a design and get his blog listed, but as I understand it he's busy at the moment. I wouldn't be surprised if he agrees and I add him the next time he can check mail.

Fenway5 said...

@Joe
Great news! There is so much quality morphs out there, the more the merrier! Thanks for putting this together!