Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Summer MUST READ

The Passage by Justin Cronin

I spent most of this week in Vegas for the licensing show.  While I do enjoy Vegas when I go for a weekend with my wife, when its on business, its could be anywhere on the planet...with 40% more T&A and drunk people.

Anyway, besides the good business meetings, I starting reading The Passage.  I hate air travel, and frankly it's pretty sad that various airports and even gates in airports are now as familiar as the grocery store to me.  blah.  So I started reading The Passage and quickly became absorbed enough to pass 1.5 hours waiting for a flight and 2+ hours in flights both ways completely engrossed.


It is a "world collapse" novel...and the best description I have seen is its like "The Stand" by Stephen King mashed up with "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.  Frankly, I have not ever (and am unsure I ever want to) read a novel as grim as "The Road" again, but damn it is one terrible and beautiful work of art.  I am unsure I want to see the movie because as much as the novel still haunts me, I just don't want the movie to ruin or take away from the broken jaw feeling the book left me with.

So The Passage, well, I am not quite sure it is as good as the "mash up" description, but I am 33% through it and can't put it down.  It's more like "The Stand" than "The Road", but I don't see that as a negative at all.

So what's the story all about? How does the world end and why?  Brother I'd be doing you a dis-service if I told you.  If you like The Stand, The Road, Day by Day Armageddon, or The Walking Dead...do yourself a favor and pick this new novel up!

1 comment:

Narmer said...

Great, another book to add to my long list.