Thursday, February 4, 2010

WWYD?

Well I am home fighting a terrible cold and in between bouts of delirium and sleep I have concocted the following as an introduction to my RPG: Collapse

Think about what you would do tomorrow if:
You can’t get food from a grocery store…ever again…
You can’t call the police, fire department, or an ambulance for help…ever again…
The hospital is closed, and the pharmacies are empty…
You can’t get gasoline for your vehicle from a gas station…
No one has a job that pays them money…
Credit cards are worthless, no one uses them or can use them…ever again…
The banks are no longer open and all your money there is gone forever…
All the paper money in your wallet is worthless except as a way to start a fire…
Then you hear a knock at your door…and it’s your neighbor…wearing a backpack…and holding a rifle…

What do you do?

7 comments:

Jack Badelaire said...

Run him through with the broadsword in my closet, take his pack and rifle, make my way up into the hills, and shoot refugees for their supplies and..."meat".

Terrified humans - so much easier to shoot and kill than the elusive whitetail deer...

Hmmm? What was that? Oh, just some idle musings...

Coopdevil said...

Meh - England is like this for two to three days every year in it's single snowfall. I carry on going to work as normal and wait for the thaw. :)

Narmer said...

Of course, I have my rifle and pistol and I ask "Watup?"

JB said...

I'm currently reading "Dies the Fire," and I can't help but think, man I need to start stockpiling the canned food!

Jack Badelaire said...

Never mind the canned food (or at least don't focus on it too much), stockpile seeds, tools, books, and above all, ammunition...

Actually, all kidding aside, modern "sustainability" movement philosophies are really 21st century versions of what I grew up with in the 70's and 80's with the survivalist movement. Just with a slightly less dramatic focus on automatic weapons and home-made boobytraps.

Narmer said...

That's a really good point about sustainability and survivalists. I hadn't thought of it quite that way. I do have a tendency to attribute those striving for sustainability with more altruistic motives though.

Fenway5 said...

Not to go all spooksville, but have you seen food prices lately? Everything seems to be jumping. My wife and I started buying an extra can of this or that as well as adding more freeze dried stuff to our "stock pile." Its great when we go camping, easy to pack into zip lock bags, then just add water and eat. I don't think we are survivalists by any means, but I like to think of it as a hedge against inflation. I read the first 2 books of the "dies the fire series" and it while it had promise, it just went too far into a Ren-Faire/ SCA-fest wetdream world for me to really read anymore of them.